Monday, April 11, 2011

Earth Song

So yesterday at Youth Group we got some information about the 30 hours famine that is going on this weekend at Calvary.

We start fasting at 12pm on Friday (right after my lunch period in school) and don't eat for 30 hours. That way we will see what it's like to hunger for such a long time like many people have to.

Here are some facts about hunger in this world:
 - Hunger kills another child every 10 seconds!
       So that are 8000 kids under the age of 5 that die because of hunger-related causes (starvation,      illness due to malnutrition, ...
 - More than 1 billion people go hungry every day!
One in six people on earth will go to bed hungry tonight . The odds are worse for kids living in poor countries, they have a one in three chance of going hungry!

For me personally I knew that this is an issue but I didn't know that there are SO MANY people who don't have anything to eat!

So with the 30 hour famine we also want to raise money for the organization World Vision so that kids can get food.
$30 would help to get food for a child for ONE MONTH - so that is $360 to help feed and care for a child for a year! I think that is pretty amazing and when we compare that on how much money we spend each month for ourselves not a lot!

When I thought about how I could get as many donations as possible I had the idea that a blog post about it would be so helpful because that way I can inform a lot of people at the same time about it.

So if you would like to donate some money for this please tell me! I need the money by Friday because that's when I will give it to my Youth Group leader. 
You can donate any amount of money you want and checks should be made payable to World Vision - I would actually prefer checks because I would have to write out a check to hand the money in anyway :)
Now that I think about it, it would be sooooo great if people from Germany would donate some money too!
1. Just divide however much dollars you want to donate by 1.35 (that's about the currency rate) to get the Euro value for it. 
2. Then you can ask my mom about my account information (didn't ask you yet but I hope that's okay mom?! ^^) or you could also email me and I will send the information to you... I just kind of forgot what you need for that so it would be great if you could tell me (I know it's the name, the account number, the bank name and the bank identification code, anything else?!)
3. Transfer the money on my account
4. Please send me an email (you can find my email address on Facebook, in my profile here on my blog or you could text/ask me about it!) and tell me how much money you would like to donate so that I can keep track of that :)
Any questions please (!) ask me or you could also look it up on the website I named above (World Vision or 30 hour Famine).
If you don't want to or you can't donate money then please pray for me and other people who participate in this that everything will work out and that we - together - can raise money to prevent kids from dying because they don't get enough food!

It would be sooo great if I could get enough money that would support a child for a year - I think that would be amazing!

Thank you so much already :)

No comments: